January 31, 2012

My Latest Crafting Addiction



My latest crafting addiction is tinting and painting mason jars.  I mainly have these in my kitchen for decorations or to hold flowers or in my bathroom to hold little things like make up brushes or q-tips.  It's not as hard as you think to do it.  Here's how I do it:

Supplies:

  • Mason Jars
  • Mod Podge Glue in Gloss
  • Food Coloring
  • Water
  • Wax Paper
  • Cookie Sheet
  • Oven
  • Bowl that you don't mind getting paint in
  • Something to mix the colors in
  • Whatever you would like to lay down for your mess :)

First off you mix the food coloring with a little bit of water.  Do whatever color you heart calls out for!  Pour a little bit of glue into your mason jar.  Add some of your color mixture into the jar with the glue. 

 Now here's where it gets messy!  Roll your jar around so the mixture coats all of the jar, making sure the excess pours out onto your covered surface or a bowl.  Now let dry upside down on that covered surface.  Repeat for all the other jars and colors you want to do.  

Let all your jars dry upside down for at least 30-45 minutes.  Set your oven on a low warm temperature and place your jars on top of the wax paper upside down and  "bake" for 10 minutes.  When that time passes, place your jars right side up for another 30-45 minutes.




Now they should be ready for wherever you want to decorate with them!  Best thing ever in my opinion!




2 comments:

Dolores said...

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks Tara.

Tara said...

No Problem, I have a bunch in my kitchen! If you have a window, the light catches them and you have pretty colors everywhere!